What is a Dentist?
Dentists are doctors who provides diagnosis and treatment of oral diseases included cavities, gum problems, root canal etc. Their office is usually able to provide services like dental cleaning, diagnostic X rays.
How does a doctor become a dentist?
Dentists complete atleast 4 years of dental school and pass a graduation exam to obtain their dental degree. (DDS in USA and Canada, BDS in India). Some dentist chooses to specialise and spend few more years to gain expertise in specific area like orthodontics, endodontics.
What do the dental degrees mean?
- DDS: Doctorate of Dental surgery
- BDS: Bachelor of dental surgery
- MDS: Masters of dental surgery
- OMF: Oral and Maxillofacial surgery
- DMD: Doctor of Medicine in Dentistry
What are the different types of dentists?
There are several different types of specialties recognized by ADA. To specialise after general dentistry requires additional 2-3 years of training.
- General or Family Dentistry: They provide comprehensive care for all kinds of oral health problems including prevention and treatment. They treat patients of all ages and are able to perform variety of procedures like dental cleaning, root canal, crowns, bridges. They may refer you to a dental specialist if needed.
- Endodontics: Deal with treatment of inside of the tooth or dental pulp. Can be referred to endodontics for complicated cases of tooth or facial pain
- Orthodontics: Treatment of dental and facial irregularities like bad bite, malocclusion. They will provide treatment with braces.
- Pediatric dentistry: They deal with oral health of infants, kids and adolescents.
- Prosthodontics: They perform aesthetic, cosmetic and restorative procedures as crowns, bridges, veneers, dentures, dental implants and dental implant supported prostheses. They are extensively trained in the treatment and prevention of gum disease as well as the placement of dental implants.
- Periodontics: They provide treatment of periodontal or gum disease or for placement of dental implants
- Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery: Treatment of various problems of the mouth, teeth, jaws and face. They are experts in the treatment of such conditions as problem wisdom teeth, facial pain, and misaligned jaws.
What are the common diseases treated by a Dentist?
Dentists treat a number of different illnesses and health conditions. They also monitor oral health with routine checkups to reduce the risk of serious conditions. Some common illnesses treated by dentists include:
- Routine Dental checkup
- Bad Breath
- Impacted Tooth
- Dental Caries
- Gum Bleeding
- Temporomandibular joint disease
What are the diagnostic tests and procedures performed by Dentists?
Dentists perform many diagnostic tests and procedures themselves, or they may order them from other doctors, specialists, or healthcare workers. Some of the most common tests and procedures they perform include:
- Dental Exams
- Dental X-rays
- Dental Cleanings
- Dental Implants
- Root Canal
- Tooth Extraction
When should you see a Dentist?
Everybody should go to dentist for annual checkups. Some other reasons to go to a dentist include:
American Dentist Association. www.ada.org