Tongkat Ali is scientifically known as Eurycoma longifolia and the native origin of this herb is in South East Asia. The roots of Tongkat Ali are generally termed as “Malaysian ginseng”. The food supplementation energy hunting natural sources can fulfill general health requirements, which may be compromised due to the increase of stress level and other age-related factors. Tongkat Ali is one of such incredible herb that is frequently added in dietary supplements as an adaptogen. The adaptogens can be defined as the natural metabolic regulators which can increase the work capacity. It stays consistent for long. Tongkat Ali acts as an adaptogen and provides an anti-aging property that assists individuals to increase the ability for adapting to age-related reduced energy, mood, and libido.
Traditionally different parts of Tongkat Ali used for different purposes. From centuries, Southeast Asia, and Malaysia used Tongkat Ali roots decoction as an aphrodisiac purpose. This dosage form is recommended to treat loss of sexual desire and impotence. In Malaysia, Tongkat Ali is referred to as “home-grown Viagra”. Apart from this use, Tongkat Ali also used to treat a range of diseases including malaria, post-partum depression, hypertension, and fatigue.
Phytochemicals present in Tongkat Ali
Several bioactive phytochemicals are present in Tongkat Ali which include quassinoids, such as eurycomalacton, eurycomanon, and eurycomanol.
Mechanism of action of Tongkat Ali
- Tongkat Ali Root Extract acts as an adaptogen and increases testosterone level, which provides anti-aging property and libido.
- Tongkat Ali Root Extract can reduce cortisol level, which reduces stress and anxiety and elevate mood. In chronic stress, prolong secretion of cortisol causes muscle wastage, hyperglycemia (increase in blood glucose level), and suppress immune/inflammatory responses. Tongkat Ali Root extracts decrease the cortisol level and may solve stress-related complications. Cortisol is also known as the stress hormone and reduction of cortisol can reduce stress and elevate mood.
- 9-hydroxycanthin-6-one is a bioactive phytochemicals present in Tongkat Ali Root, which inhibits Ca2+ release and provide penile contraction with delaying ejaculation.
- Increase testosterone level by in taking Tongkat Ali Root Extract improvement of strength and muscle mass.
- Sufficient amount of quassinoids present in Tongkat Ali Root Extract has anti-estrogenic effects
- The bioactive complex polypeptides from the E. longifolia root extract takes part in the biosynthesis of various androgens and also act on androgen receptors. Thus, it initiates the conversion of androstenedione and androstenediol to testosterone and estrogen, respectively.
- Tongkat Ali Root acts as an adaptogen. Unlike stimulants, Tongkat Ali Root can maintain a constant level of testosterone and after attainment the peak level, testosterone level does not fall further. Therefore, Tongkat Ali Root assists in maintaining the sustained action of testosterone.
- Tongkat Ali Root Extract is a perfect solution for boosting testosterone levels, as it has anti-aging property, and can be effective for weight management and reduction of cortisol level.
- In chronic stress, prolong secretion of cortisol causes muscle wastage, hyperglycemia (increase in blood glucose level), and suppress immune/inflammatory responses. Tongkat Ali Root extracts decrease the cortisol level and may solve stress-related complications. Cortisol is also known as stress hormone and reduction of cortisol can reduce stress and elevate mood.
- The preclinical data showed that Tongkat Ali root extract does not as a stimulant to increase the testosterone synthesis, but rather it maintains and restores the normal levels of testosterone by increasing the released testosterone from its binding sites. Restoring and maintaining of testosterone level provides several health benefits, including enhancement of muscle mass and reduction of body fat, increase vitality due to mental and physical high energy and improvement of overall general well-being.
Different Dosage Forms of Tongkat Ali
The recommended dose of Tongkat ali is 200–400 mg per day for healthy adults. Following are herbal dosage form of Tongkat ali.
- Tongkat Ali Extract: Recommended oral dose is 25 mg for 2-3 days
- Full-spectrum Powder: Recommended oral dose is 200 mg once a day or 400 mg of alternative days.