1. What is Kratom Exactly?
Kratom or Mitragyna Speciosa is an herb native to the regions of Southeast Asian countries like Thailand, Malaysia, and Papua New Guinea. It grows naturally in the marshy regions and can grow up to be around 100 feet tall.
Kratom’s strength comes from its leaves that carry several alkaloids that render its myriad therapeutic properties. The health benefits of kratom are discussed later in the post.
While this herb’s earliest usage is largely unknown; the practice is thought to be ancient. Some accounts traced its usage back to the early 1900s; though it could be way older than that. Kratom’s popularity grew in the US with the onset of the 21st century. Today you can buy it in multiple forms from stores like Kratom Crazy.
2. How to Take Kratom?
There’s not much to how you can get kratom into your system. It’s pretty simple to consume/ingest. Some of the most popular ways in which users consume it are
- Toss n wash - This is the method where you take your kratom dose (usually on the palm of your hand or a spoon). You quickly throw it at the back of your tongue and before you can begin to taste it; you grab a beverage and wash it down. The beverage can be some kind of juice (orange, apple, etc.) or it can just be plain water. Be sure not to combine it with stuff like alcohol though.
- As Capsules - This is pretty similar to the previous one; except you’re not consuming powder. The powder is encapsulated in edible capsule casings. If you know the exact kratom dosage that works for you; only then you would want to go for capsules.
- In the Form of Tea - It’s super simple to brew kratom tea. You can grab a bunch of excellent recipes off of the internet. It’s the perfect way to mask the bitter taste of kratom. Some users consume it on an empty stomach first thing in the morning as it helps them start the day on an energetic note. Be sure to use the right strain though that will energize you; not dull you.
3. Why Do People Take Kratom?
- For Pain management - One quick look at this kratom review page on WebMD will tell you just how many users who were struggling with chronic pains have found comfort in kratom. It continues to be the main reason behind kratom’s soaring popularity. While not much research is available to back these claims from a clinical standpoint; kratom does seem to be promising in this aspect. You can take a look at this literature which talks about kratom’s pain-management properties.
- For energy - Few kratom strains can energize you much like coffee. In fact, kratom belongs to the same family of plants as coffee (which should explain this effect). The right type of kratom, when consumed on an empty stomach, can make you ready for the day. The natives of the regions where kratom is grown; people would chew kratom leaves raw as it helped them work under harsh sunlight without tiring.
- For recreational Purposes - While some kratom strains will make you energized; others can pleasantly dull your sensations with its sedating effects. Occasionally people use it for that mild ‘high’. Go for Green Vein kratom if you're aiming for mild sedating effects. However, be sure to exercise caution and be mindful of your dose. You can expect a slowing down of thoughts coupled with a feeling of unexplained calm as part of its sedating effects.
- For Improved focus - White Vein kratom is the perfect choice if you want to engage in mentally draining tasks that require razor-sharp focus and attention. Again certain strains are better suited for this purpose than others such as the white vein. This one will make you clear-headed, focused, and alert.