Do audiologists perform surgery?
Audiologists do not perform surgery or prescribe medicines. They can refer you to a specialist or surgeon. They can recommend over the counter medicines. They can fit and dispense hearing aids.
Does hearing aid cause more hearing damage?
A hearing aid is a medical device that helps to bring loudness within a comfortable level so that the patient can hear properly. There is no chance for more hearing damage. Medical researchers have proved that using hearing aid activates the sensory cells of the inner ear, which helps to understand the speech.
Does the audiologist help me to select the right hearing aid?
Yes. The continuous medical advancement brings different types of advanced hearing aids. Patients who had a bad experience of adjusting hearing aid, they can consult with an audiologist for the right selection of hearing aids. Some hearing aids are very small in size named as called open-canal or open-fitting BTEs. This type of medical device is almost invisible, and patients easily adjust this instrument. Some patients may not be satisfied with the fitting of the hearing aids, but depending upon the particular candidacy, the audiologist can assess the require fitting and the power requirement for the individual patient.
Do I need to frequently change my hearing aid?
A hearing aid is a delicate instrument that needs regular maintenance. Ear wax or moisture content often damages a hearing aid. Manufacturing companies or some audiology service centers can repair the device. You need to maintain a routine visit to your audiologist for ensuring the proper functioning of your hearing aid. You also need to perform yearly hearing tests to assure the recommended hearing aid is suitable to manage your hearing issue. Worsening of the condition may need high power hearing aids. The manufacturing companies have different warranty and servicing plans on different products. Talk with your audiologist about warranty and servicing services.
How can background noise be reduced?
Two available treatment modalities can reduce background noise. Dual or directional microphone technology attached in hearing aid allows us to turn off the back microphone when the interference of background noise causes disturbance to hear speech. Much modern hearing aid also has an automatic selection program that suitably matches the listening environment. Another option is using 100% digital hearing aids to improve communication in the presence of background noise.
How can I know about my hearing problem?
If you are concern about your hearing problem and fear about loss of hearing, then one important point is hearing loss gradually comes. Usually, people around you may notice your hearing issue first then you could realize it. Most of the time, affected people sick for medical treatment after seven years of hearing loss issue. If you have experienced the following symptoms better to consult an audiologist near you:
• You are not able to hear other's speech
• You are repeatedly asking people to speak again what they said
• You are imitating others, but unable to hear the spoken words during an assembly or other occasions.
• You feel other people around you are mumbling
• You need to ask your fellow partner about the details of the meeting though you also attained the same
• You raise TV or radio volume, which disturbed other family members, or partners.
• You missed phone calls because you cannot hear them.
• You try for lip-reading instead of hearing the words to understand their talk
• You are indifferent during too much noise around yourself
• You unable to listen the nature's sound like blowing leaves, chirping birds
• You continuously hear ringing sounds in your years, especially in a quiet environment.
How long does audiology test take?
The audiology tests (otoscopy, audiometry and tympanometry) typically takes about 30
What does an Audiologist do?
Following are some audiology services:
• Audiologic evaluations
• Hearing diagnostic test
• Consultation and fitting of hearing aid
• Hearing aid maintenance and repairing service
• Aural rehabilitation
• Detection of hearing loss of Pediatric patients and their treatment
• Prevention and protection of hearing loss
• Earmold and earplug fitting and consultation
• Tinnitus treatment
• Body balancing and dizziness evaluation and treatment
• Auditory treatment and hearing rehabilitation
• Evaluation of cochlear implant candidacy and arrange implantation program
What does an audiology test consist of?
There are three types of tests performed by audiologists: Otoscopy (to check ear drum for wax or blockage), Audiometry (to check for hearing), Tympanometry (to check middle ear for infection).